Saturday, April 23, 2022

Travel Memories Strongsville Ohio




 

I'm adding a few stories about my travels. Most relate to food, fun and explorations. This one is a vignette about Strongsville Ohio. When I lived in Kentucky I would travel the roughly 387 miles to the Strongsville Ohio Holiday Inn. It was my first stop on my Northern Ohio sales trip. I would be visiting food service distributors. The Holiday Inn there had a wonderfully large pool and in those days the airline pilots and flight attendants would stay on the 6th floor. Since I was well behaved and a regular patron I typically stayed in room 610 along side them. They would be in there crisp uniforms in the lobby at check in and out flying all over the country. My room even had pictures of old Mercedes Benz automobiles over the bed. Comforting for an old 60-70's car guy.

The Chef there ran a real nice dining room and always had my favorite German hardrolls in the baskets with real butter to nosh on before dinner. I loved those rolls (called brotchen in country) and I was no stranger to butter. One Monday after Easter I came in for dinner and was presented a basket of bread. With sadface I asked my server what happened to the hard rolls thinking there was a new Chef. She said no changes but they had left over bread from the Easter buffet (fresh bread but more than they needed for Sunday's lunch and dinner). I do like rye bread but my sadface showed through and my server announced that Chef would make a basket of my rolls. Just give him 20 minutes. 

Those experiences were the norm in those days. When exceeding the guest expectations were paramont. Here I am still telling the story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment