Friday, July 22, 2022

Hamburger, French Fries and Coke

 I had a couple funny conversations this week that tied together, inspiring this short prose. First, on Wednesday we commemorated the 53rd anniversary of Man's Walk On The Moon. 53 years really...wow that's about one food service career. If you asked me what I wanted to eat the first 25 years of my life it was Hamburger, French fries and Coke. Ironically my career started at the McDonalds on 175th and Indianapolis Blvd in Hammond Indiana. Graduating MSU Hotel school and eventually working in the industry as my career. 


The "store" as we called it had a huge stockroom in back with shirts and hats we put on everyday. Most times they were clean sometimes you got the last shifts. On Saturday mornings Lou Nazzaro (owner of all the Region stores) would come in and make himself a double cheeseburger. Wow...the owner. Lou had a Caddy convertible with leather interior and 4 stores. We wanted to be Lou back then.

Well I wasn't Lou. I was the fryman ...after working all the stations I fit best there and flourished. In the old days we cut our own fries. We soaked them in the 3 compartment sink and peeled them in the Hobart peeler above. Cut them, blanched them (pre cook) in beef tallow (fat) and hung them in rack baskets waiting to finish them when you ordered. They were the best...eventually they became frozen consistent potato sticks from Idaho. They were cooked in a Proctor and Gamble styled liquid fat (think Fry Max). They were supposed to be healthier...the jury is still out on that one. I made 95 cents an hour and all I could eat on my two breaks. I would work open to close Saturday and Sunday. Leaving Sunday night after the Sherwood Club Wild Goose concerts... the patrons would storm us for their late night munchies. 

I worked the Saturday Ronald McDonald came to visit we went through all 3 racks bagging fries for 4 hours. What a party that was.
You're fired!

That day (moonwalk) was not without drama at the store. The management choose to cross train me on the grill and I was buried deep in burgers while everyone was listening to the moonwalk on the office radio. Yep portable radio. I asked for help and they shusssed me. I made a snide remark and suddenly it was about me. You're fired I was told. First time being fired but not too scary. 17 year olds firing a 15 year old. I used the office phone to call my Mom to come get me. I was unemployed one day. They forgot I was their best fryman and they had no one to cover the Tuesday night shift. The rest is the career. 53 years...smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment