Thursday, October 20, 2022

Wow it's Halloween already.

 I know, I know I promised I would write weekly. Well I was doing a great job and then got sidetracked by health and fitness concerns. Having turned 69 in early September I've always tried to stay ahead of the health curve. I'm fortunate to have VA and service related medical coverage. 

Basically I've felt my life was like a speedometer and my fitness and nutrition has followed than line. So my early years I spent with Grandfather most Summers and weekends. I was the oldest grandchild.

He had a dump truck and tractor and leased property that would become Southlake Mall in Merrillville Indiana. We raised cantaloupe and tomatoes for Libbey Company. I loved taking them to the Alsip Illinois plant to be made into ketchup. We mostly ate what would be considered organic and healthy today, mostly vegetables and grass fed beef and chicken. We would stop at the farmers stalls in the Merrillville and Crown Point areas for our food. The chain grocery stores were just starting to open in the Gary area. This was around 1965 and I was lean and energetic. I was a catcher in little league.

The next phase was phase was middle school through college. I was in the middle of the conversion of "real" sugar drinks to fructose. I was a fry man at the local fast food restaurant, a Hotel school major at Michigan State and spent 4 years in the Army in Germany. So by my late 20's I weighed 310 (think 85 Bears lineman). We took KFC to our family reunions.




About that time fitness became a thing and after reading a book by Bob Haas who trained famous tennis players and my cardiologist warning me of future arterial bypasses I started my own fitness and nutrition routine. Eventually eating from Whole Foods and the like and running 6 miles a day. I was 215 and had some muscle going...lol sadly the running wasn't good for my hips. But as this life is a learning experience, I'm still learning. Sometimes less is more.

Yeah so here I am at 69. I've had AFIB Atrial Fibrillation (funky heartbeat) for about 15 years and treated the symptoms with acupuncture and herbs. I've always said if I had an event I would see the cardiologist immediately. I tell people I have a disco heartbeat in a jazz world...maybe a little rock too.

So that's where I've been this Summer. On June 9th I went to the ER ( my event) with RVR...a more serious AFIB related heart rhythm disorder. My herbs and fitness routine changed out for American drugs and therapy. The drugs while slowing my heart packed on 22 pounds of fluid and made me tired and gave me nightmares. I was scheduled for an Angioplasty. I aced the Angioplasty no plaque and no stents. I feel my plant based diet was the reason for that. Also my basic fitness level. I ride my bike, swim and lift moderate weights. 

We then scheduled the Ablation. My heart was shocked 7 times and regained my original 1980's heart rhythm for an hour. The following week I had the shock again and the rhythm remained 5 days. So that's where were at now I have one drug for the heart rate, one for thinning the blood (stroke risk) and the last for the fluid...I've gotten back to my original starting weight of 200. My eighth grade weight.

So that's catch up...I see the cardiologist next week. There is a chance my rhythm will revert to the  correct beat as my heart heals. I'm cleared to bike swim and lift my moderate weights. My main goal is to get off the drugs and back to herbs. I had my first acupuncture visit Saturday. That was beneficial.



I've added Trace Mineral drops and Vitamin C power pack each once a day. While taking the fluid retention drug they will keep my body healthy with minerals and core vitamins. I'm still doing the Dr Gundry diet with a little more calories. My thoughts are...the RVR may have been hormone related or weight loss as 200 is 32 pounds below my Army weight. Either way the Trace minerals have helped make my routine easier to administer while taking the American drugs. 

We'll see how long it takes me to get off the drugs and back to herbs. Here's to your health. Finding new ways to live longer and having fun doing it.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment